Sunday, November 30, 2025
HomeNewsIt’s getting hot in GUINEA-BISSAU as MILITARY Takes Control

It’s getting hot in GUINEA-BISSAU as MILITARY Takes Control

Guinea-Bissau entered yet another political crisis on Wednesday after army officers announced a takeover, halting the presidential election before results could be released.

In a televised statement, spokesperson Diniz N’Tchama said the officers had toppled President Umaro Sissoco Embalo, closed national borders, suspended the vote and enforced a curfew.

They proclaimed themselves “The High Military Command for the Restoration of Order,” insisting they would run the country until further notice.

Although the officers did not confirm if Embalo was detained, security sources told Reuters he was being held inside the army chief of staff’s office.

They also reported that opposition figure Fernando Dias, along with former prime minister Domingos Simoes Pereira, had been taken into custody.

The African Union and ECOWAS voiced “deep concern,” saying electoral officials had also been arrested and urging their immediate release.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments