President Cyril Ramaphosa has formally recognised gender-based violence and femicide as a national crisis.
Ramaphosa announced this before delegates and civil society groups gathered at the Birchwood Conference Centre for discussions on social priorities on Thursday.
Ramaphosa told the summit that “no society can thrive for as long as gender-based violence and femicide continues and the agency of women is denied.” He said the violence inflicted on women “erodes the social fabric of nations” and limits development and inclusive growth.
He also emphasised the importance of involving men, saying they must confront “inherited attitudes, power imbalances and social structures that normalise violence and silence survivors.” Across all sectors, he said, South Africa agrees “we need to take extraordinary and concerted action” to stop the crisis.
The declaration comes ahead of Women for Change’s #WomenShutdown on Friday, a national call for women to step away from normal routines. Participants are encouraged to stay home, avoid spending, wear black, and take part in a 15-minute lie down to honour the 15 women killed daily.
Women for Change began pushing for formal recognition earlier this year through a petition that first stalled at 770 000 signatures and has now passed 1 million.
A powerful billboard was also erected on Thursday morning, carrying the message: “Welcome to the country where women are only safe in a casket.”


